Since Glengarry has been settled names have been given to almost
every road, crossroad, hamlet, spring, creek, swamp, etc. The following are only a few that I have come across. In your research you may have reference to a name you will not find on any available map. I have divided the known place names into townships and where possible, put a location, such as lot and concession number and shown the location on the township maps.
Glengarry - As quoted from Ewan Ross
The name Glengarry itself is an example of the Scots remembering their native land. In gaelic a glen is a mountain valley almost always with a strea at the bottom of it. Garry is an english version of the gaelic gaudh which means rushing water. There are no mountains, glens with rushing streams in our Glengarry, but from the glen of the garry in Scotland came the MacDonells, of whom two brothers were elected to represent the area in Governor Simcoes first legislative assembly at Niagara-on-the-Lake in 1792. At this assembly the first counties were named, and John MacDonell (aberchalder) and his brother Hugh apparently had no difficulty getting the name of their home glen in Scotland adopted for the first county in Ontario.
PLACE NAMES IN LANCASTER TOWNSHIP
-Front of Lancaster Township was called the sunken township translated from the french Le Canton Enforce also called the wet township
- Bainsville, lot. 17, con. 1, once called Bainsfield or Bains Fields,(named after a McBain)
- Bridge End - lot 9, con. 6
- Bridge End Station - lot 10, con 5.
- Brown House once Sandfields Corner or McDonalds Corner - Lot 38, con. 6
- Curry Hill - lot 9, con 2. Now the area from the Quebec border lot 1, con. 1 and lot 1 con 2 to lot 11 in the first and second concessions, is known as the Curry Hill area.
- Glen Gordon Station - lot 38, con. 3
- Glen Gordon - lot 38, con. 3 (about half a mile north of the station)
- Glen Nevis - lot 17, con. 7
- Summerstown Station - Camerontown
- Summerstown - Somers
- Glen Norman - lot 23, con. 8
- North Lancaster Station - lot 24, con. 4
- Pine Hill - lot 31, con. 6.
- South Lancaster - once known as Lancaster, The Falkner Settlement, Lancaster Post Office, Riviere Raisin, Pointe Raisin, Riviere Raisin Post Office, Kirktown, The Lower Village, Dunlops, Dunlops Settlement.
- Point aux Herbes - just east of South Lancaster
- Raisin Isle - now Cairn Island, also Monument Island, some claim this was known as Squaw Island.
- Pointe du Lac - now Glengarry Point
- Pointe Raisin - now South Lancaster
- Pointe a la Traverse - now Farlingers Point
- Point au Chene - now Graveyard Point
- Isle au Morpion - there seems to have been two by this name, one a rock south of Point Mouillee of which there is now no trace. The other possibly the present Clark Island south of lot 16, con. 1, Charlottenburg.
- Gayaton River now Wood Creek, flows into Lake St. Francis at lot 6, con. 1. - Cornus River now Gunn Creek, flows into Lake St. Francis at lot 9 con. 1.
- Cow River, Ross Creek now Sutherland Creek, flows into Lake St. Francis at lot 10 con 1.
- Bulrush Point
- Point aux Jones or Jonas - lot 24, con. 1, from map of 1860
- Westley Creek, part of which is now MacIntosh Drain.
- Point Mouille - Point a Mole, lot 12 - 15, con. 1.
- Wildcats Corners - Richardsons Corner
- Marandier Pointe - lot 23, con. 1, from a Lancaster map of 1860
- Picnic Grove
- Rossville - lot 10, con. 1, now included in the Curry Hill area.
-Lancaster Depot, Lancaster Station, Upper Village, New Lancaster - now Lancaster Village - lot 38, con. 1,
- Clairsville, Leclairs Corner - now North Lancaster, lot 23 & 24 , con 5 & 6.
- Pine Hill - lot 31, con 6.
- Slabtown - lot 23, con. 3.
- Sutherlands Settlement - North part of lot 11, con 1.
- Vinigar City (from the Glengarry News of July 7, 1893) Situated 1 mile east of the Brown House and contains a school and cheese factory.
- Roebucks Mills - now Dalhousie Mills, lot 8 and 9 con 8.
- Church Hill - The Dalhousie - Bridge End area.
- Greenfields East Corner - now Green Valley, lot 38, con 8.
PLACE NAMES IN LOCHIEL TOWNSHIP - Aberdeen - a cheese factory north and west of Little Russia
- ABERDEEN - A CHEESE FACTORY AT THE NORTH WEST OF LITTLE RUSSIA
- Little Russia, Knoydarts - located south of Glen Robertson
- Sandfield now Glen Sandfield
-GLEN SANDFIELD STARTED AS SANDFIELD
Charley Roys Corners - Glen Robertson
-GLEN ROBERTSON - CHARLEY ROY'S CORNERS,
Lochiel - Quigleys Corners, Quigleys, Glen James, Lochiel Post Office, McCormicks, 3rd con Lochiel, McPhees Inn.
-LOCHIEL - QUIGLEY'S CORNERS - QUIGLEY'S - GLEN JAMES - LOCHIEL POST OFFICE - MCCORMICKS -3RD CON LOCHIEL - MCPHEE'S INN
- Glen Elg - now Kirk Hill
-GLEN ELG - KIRK HILL
McNab - now Lochinvar
-LOCHINVAR - MCNAB
- Muileann a Chamaronich on the Delisle River in Lochiel has disappeared.
-MUILEANN A CHAMARONICH ON THE DELISLE RIVER IN LOCHIEL HAS DISAPPEARED
Macks Corners- now Dalkieth
-MACK'S CORNERS (DALKIETH)
- Iglenook - Laggan - Kirkhill area
-INGLENOOK (LAGGAN - KIRKHILL)
- McPhees Bridge - Alexandria area
-MCPHEE'S BRIDGE (ALEXANDRIA)
- Green Lamb - between Alexandria and Hawkesbury
- GREEN LAMB - (BETWEEN ALEXANDRIA AND HAWKESBURY)
- Kellys Swamp - the south side of the village of Green Valley
-KELLY'S SWAMP (WAS EITHER THE NORTH OR THE SOUTH SIDE OF GREEN VALLEY?)
- Eig - Alexandria Area
- EIG ( ALEXANDRIA AREA)
- Ladysmith - Glen Robertson area
- LADYSMITH (GLEN ROBERTSON AREA]
- South la Graisse Post Office - north corner of lots A and lot 1 in the 3rd of Lochiel (1869-1880)
- SOUTH LA GRAISSE POST OFFICE - NORTH CORNER OF LOTS A AND 1 IN THE 3RD. OF LOCHIEL [1869 - 1880]
- La Graisse River - the Grass River
- LA GRAISSE RIVER - THE GRASS RIVER
PLACE NAMES IN KENYON TOWNSHIP
- Drowned Baptist Creek - this is the Delisle River at Doninionville
- DROWNED BAPTIST CREEK THIS IS THE DELISLE RIVER AT DOMINIONVILLE
- Bloomington - Maxville area
-BLOOMINGTON [MAXVILLE AREA]
- Frasers Bridge
- Pleasant Dale - Maxville area
-PLEASANT DALE [MAXVILLE]
- Sittingdale - West Hawkesbury, Skye or Dunvegan area
- SITTINGDALE [ WEST HAWKESBURY - SKYE AREA OR DUNVEGAN AREA]
- St. Pauls Corners - Baltic, Fournier area?
- ST. PAUL'S CORNERS [ BALTIC FORUNIER AREA ?]
- Gravel Hollow - Baltic, Fournier, Maxville area?
- GRAVEL HOLLOW [BALTIC FORUNIER MAXVILLE AREA ?]
- Battle Hill - named from a battle over a line fence in Kenyon.
-BATTLE HILL [ BATTLE OVER LINE FENCE IN KENYON]
- The Reformitory - MacPhees farm north of Alexandria on the west side of Highway 34, about 1 1/2 miles north, the area voted down this institution but the name stuck.
- THE REFORMITORY - MACPHEE'S FARM NORTH OF ALEXANDRIA ON THE WEST SIDE OF HIGHWAY #34 ABOUT 1 1/2 MILES NORTH THE AREA VOTED DOWN THIS INSTITUTION BUT THE NAME STUCK.
- Butter Hollow - Bonnies Hill, Baltic area.
-BUTTER HOLLOW [ BONNIE'S HILL- BALTIC AREA]
- Buffers Corners
- BUFFERS CORNERS
- Buffers Hill - Maxville area
- BUFFERS HILL - MAXVILLE AREA
- Robsons Corners - Apple Hill area
- ROBSON'S CORNERS [APPLE HILL AREA]
- Battle Hill - in Kenyon township, opposite lot 8 on the road between the 7th and 8th concession.
- BATTLE HILL IN KENYON OPPOSITE LOT 8 ON THE ROAD BETWEEN THE 7TH AND 8TH CON.
- MacCrimmons or MacCrimmons Corners - was Crasga Bheutanarch, Ate Brogelein, Barretts Corners (after a storekeeper of that name), Kingsburgh Post Office, The Tannery.
- MACCRIMMON'S OR MACCRIMMON'S CORNERS
OR CRASGA BHEUTANARCH
OR ATE BROGELEIN
OR BARRETTS CORNERS (AFTER A STOREKEEPER OF THAT NAME)
OR KINGSBURGH POST OFFICE
OR THE TANNERY
- Windmills Corner - the crossroad between lots 30 - 31 in the 6th of Kenyon.
- WINDMILLS CORNER - THE CROSSROAD BETWEEN 30 - 31 IN THE 6TH. OF KENYON
Gospel Hill- now St. Elmo
ST. ELMO - GOSPEL HILL
14th. Corner - now Fassifern
FASSIFERN - 14TH. CORNER
Skye - now Dunvegan
DUNVEGAN - SKYE
PLACE NAMES IN CHARLOTTENBURG TOWNSHIP
- Cashions Glen - near Grants Corners on the South Branch Road - Winding Stream - Glen Gordon, Williamstown area
- WINDING STREAM [GLEN GORDON - WILLIAMSTOWN AREA]
- Milltown - Muileann Sir Ian translated to Sir Johns Mills, now Williamstown.
- WILLIAMSTOWN - MUILEANN SIR IAN TRANSLATED TO SIR JOHN'S MILLS LATER TO MILLTOWN
- Isle au Morpion - possibly the present Clark Island located south of lot 16, con 1. ( see Isle au Morpion under Lancaster Township)
- ISLE AU MORPION - POSSIBLY THE PRESENT CLARK ISLAND SOUTH OF LOT 16 CON 1 [THE OTHER ISLE AU MORPION]
- Sandfields Corners - lot 1, con 7, Charlottenburg
-SANDFIELDS CORNERS - #1 - 7TH CHARLOTTENBURG
- Gravel Hollow - Glen Gordon area
-GRAVEL HOLLOW [GLEN GORDON AREA]
- Gleneirre - the name came from Gleann Fheoir , Hays Glen in english. now Glendale area South of Williamstown.
-GLENDALE AREA SOUTH OF WILLIAMSTOWN WHERE CARNATION PLANT IS TODAY -GLENEIRRE WHICH CAME FROM GLEANN FHEOIR - HAY'S GLEN IN ENGLISH
- Sierra - now Glen Roy
-GLEN ROY - SIERRA
-Glen Munro - now Apple Hill
-APPLE HILL - GLEN MUNRO
MIS. PLACE NAMES
The Devils Elbow
The Rabbit Trail
Veteran of North West Mounted Police Took Part In Famous Frontier March
Death of Frederick Alexander Edgar who passed away last Sunday at the home of his nephew. Edgar Jamieson, of Rossland, brought to its final climax a long and eventful career. Many Lethbridge old-timers may recall Fred Edgar and the part he played in the saga of the Royal North West Mounted Police.
Born a Lancaster, Glengarry County, Ont., June 1, 1846, Mr. Edgar at the age of 20 joined the ranks of Volunteers organized to repel the Fenian invaders. The following year he travelled westward to Port Arthur, where he remained for several years, during which time he held the position of first chief of police of that frontier town.
Following his term as chief of police, Edgar was appointed Indian agent among the Ojibways and had charge of supplies going over the newly-constructed trail to Fort Garry, now Winnipeg.
The fall of 1873 found Mr. Edgar at Portage La Prairie and later in the year at Fort Garry, where he spent the winter. A Troop of the new organized R. N. W.M. P. had arrived at this point and Edgar joined the force under the command of the late Colonel Jarvis who died in Nelson in 1914. Young Edgars adventures in the west then really began.
He took part in perilous marches across the plains, and many and varied experiences with Indians, whiskey traders and cattle and horse thieves.
With Main Body
In June, 1874, the Mounted Police started on their famous expedition across the plains. At La Roche Perce, in Saskatchawan, A troop. still under the command of the late Col. Jarvis, was detached from the main body and sent along the northern route to establish a police post at Fort Saskatchewan, now Edmonton. Mr. Edgar how-ever , was selected by the commanding officer, Colonel French to accompany the main body of troops across the southern plains travelling by way of Fort Quappelle, Touchwood Hills, and Cypress Hills, as far west as the present city of Lethbridge. The eastern horses, with which they had been suppled, unaccustomed as they were to the changed environment,proved unfit for prairie travel, and Mr. Edgar often recalled the orders issued from headquarters at Ottawa. forbidding the killing of all horses. As a result of this order, they were often obliged to leave them knowing that coyotes and wolves waited only the departure of the men to bring down and devour the exhausted animals. The story of this trip alone,of a monster herd of buffaloes, estimated at 80,000 which they encountered,of storms which twice almost wiped out the camp,could in itself make a saga of the North West Mounted Police.
Leaving what is now, Lethbridge on their return trip the force circles northward, passing the site of the present city of Calgary, where they established police post under the command of an officer named Brisbois. For a short time the post bore the name of this officer but Colonial McLeod whose name was written large in the annals of western Canada changed it to Calgary after his native home in Scotland.
Edgar took his discharge from the Mounted Police in 1880 and returned to Ontario. The call of the west was to strong however and he returned to Butte, Montana, where he worked as a carpenter. Continuing westward he worked at various occupations, finally becoming a member of a U. S. Government crew installing a signal service from Port Las???to Seattle.
In the years following he worked at Victoria, B. C. Vancouver and took part in a great deal of surveying.
As years crept by, Mr. Edgars adventures, and his taste for them diminished. He spent his declining years at Passmore in Slocan Valley, at the home of his brother- in - law and sister, Mr. and Mrs. John Jamieson. Following the death of his brother in law in September last, Mr. Edgar and his niece, Miss Ethel Jamieson went to live with the formers nephew, Edgar Jamieson of Rossland, and it was there that he set foot on the road to the greatest adventure of all.